Most Recent Post

Untitled Document II

Out From Underneath the Blanket

The joy I find in the discomfort of others when in (appropriate) conversation I casually mentioned that I was involuntarily committed to a mental hospital. Due to the fact that I've gained the acceptance of this part of my existence, and have gained acceptance of who I am, that to me is just a casual point in my existence. Though to a majority of folks it can bring them out of their comfort zone; and I find this is a wonderful thing. The more I can help others see that going to a mental hospital for a couple of days for depression is exactly the same as going to a medical hospital for a couple of days to get your appendix taken out. The more information put out there, the more aware folks become, the more acceptance is gained in relation to mental illness and mental health care, and the more lives we can save and improve.


We all need to come out of our comfort zones when it comes to the oppression of any kind of folk. I am a staunch advocate for mental health, mental health services, and mental illness awareness. I casually speak about my mental health and my mental illness because it is a huge piece of my life, and therefore a constant piece (and I do not mind to teach and share - note, not everyone is like myself - not everyone needs to be). My mental illness isn't who I am, but it is a part of my life. I casually talk about my therapy, I casually talk about my treatment, I casually take my antidepressant in front of others, I casually explain my mental illness and mental health care to others, I casually suggest to everyone to receive mental health services, and so on it goes. I try to make mental health, mental illness, and mental health services as commonplace as possible in my everyday speech in order to smash the stigma towards those of us with mental illness, and mental health care in general. 

If you have ever been taken out of your comfort zone in conversation with myself please know that that discomfort can a guide you to evolving as a person if you let it. If you fight the discomfort, and become bitter towards it it will stifle you as a human being; but if you accept the discomfort, and let it teach you, you can evolve as a human being. I have had many a conversation where I was nudged out of my comfort zone (ripped a couple times - and rightly so), and the discomfort I wanted to automatically fight, because that's what I've been taught to do with my emotions most of my life. Instead I sat with the discomfort, and let my thoughts of selfishness pass on through, and let the discomfort guide on to being a better person.

 Haley


Comments